This QuikStart Guide is provided to give you an overview of the Quikscribe Recorder software and how to set it up. Quikscribe is designed to be simple, effective, and efficient to use. This guide is divided into three parts; Install, Configure, and Control.
There are a lot of features available in the Quikscribe system, but it’s easy to get started with the basic features and then learn the advanced tools as you go.
For more detailed explanations of all the features, a full user manual is available from our website and also in the Quikscribe program under the Help menu.
Quikscribe is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 and 8.
Perform the following installation tasks to quickly start using Quikscribe Recorder:
To download the Quickscribe Recorder software, please go to www.quikscribe.com/support and select Installation/Program Instructions → Quikscribe Recorder → Click Here → Save, and save the install file to your downloads folder (or other location).
Make sure you are logged in with Administrator rights: otherwise you may encounter problems with the installation.
To check Adminisrator rights, click start è control panel è user accounts on your computer. Your account will have computer administrator below it if you have Administrator rights
· Open QSRInstall Program from Downloads folder, Desktop, or other location.
· In Main Menu click Run.
· Select the Setup Type that best suits your needs (usually “Default”)
· The continuing steps will guide you through the remaining installation process.
· When complete select Finish.
Default install option includes QS Downloader (to use with portable recorders) and File Management Tracking.
Complete includes above options, plus enables feature to integrate optional Voice Recognition program.
Configuration for Quikscribe Recorder focuses on four areas; Send Destination, Audio Settings, License Registration and Control. Once you have completed configuring Quikscribe to your personal preferences, you will be ready to take control of your new dictation features!
Skip the section
if you are not on a network or will be
sending files by email.
Skip the section if you are not on a network or will be sending files by email.
We recommend that a Network Administrator complete the following steps because all networks are different and there may be issues regarding security and permissions.
To set up your network environment to send files over the network, you’ll need to create folders on your file server:
· Use My Computer in Windows to make a folder (directory) within a public shared folder on your File Server that everyone in your organization may access. Call this folder “QSFiles”. That is, create a shared folder called QSFiles on a network drive (such as F:\QSFiles). All Quikscribe users need full rights and permissions to the QSFiles folders and its subfolders.
· Create a subfolder called f:\QSFiles\Staff or f:\QSFiles\Dictation.
· Create subfolders named for each typist: (f:\QSFiles\Staff\Jane; f:\QSFiles\Staff\Joe, f:\QSFiles\Staff\Sally; etc.)
If you want to Add or Delete subfolder or typists within the QSFiles directory or other directory, just Add or Remove them anytime.
First create new folders in Windows, using My Computer or Computer, not through Quikscribe. The Quikscribe Recorder simply builds a list based on available typists within this directory.
Please note that when a subfolder or typist is added or removed, a path name change is necessary in Quikscribe Player.
· Open the Quikscribe Recorder software.
· Click on the Send Audio File icon.
· Click the pull down arrow under the Method tab and select Network.
· Next, select Edit Path.
· Click Send Type at the upper left of the panel and select LAN.
· Click the icon to the right of the Site Location box. The Browse for Folder panel will now display.
· Browse to the shared folder on your network or to a folder on your hard drive.
· Select the folder. The folder may be QsFiles\Typists, the folder that was described in the section Create shared folders on network drive above.
· Click OK. The name of the folder will display in the Site Location box.
· Enter a name for the folder in the Site Name box. The name may be the same as the name for the actual folder or may be another meaningful name.
· Click OK
· If the folder you added is “Typists”, you will see within the “Typists list” box, a list of all typists in the QSFiles\Typists directory. Below is an example of the “Send to” panel for sending via your network.
· A folder name in the top and lower boxes must be clicked to select a send destination. If a folder name does not display in the lower box select current directory.
· DO NOT select “Use Voice Recognition” unless you have the integrated option for that service already installed and configured. Please contact us for more information if needed.
· Click Close.
Skip this section if you are using a portable recorder. Note: If you’re using the Philips Digital Pocket Memo (DPM) or other model of portable recorder, click here for detailed configuration instructions with QS Recorder (or visit quikscribe.com/recorder-install/. If using other portable recorders, use Fixed Disk Mode in QS Downloader Settings
Tips for setting the microphone sound level input for Quikscribe Recorder when recording directly into QSR using a hand control microphone such as the Philips SpeechMike, Grundig SonicMic, Olympus DR-2000, or other PC microphone
· Select System Settings in QS Recorder, click on Record Device (under Audio Devices) to select the microphone device you will use for recording.
· Then click on Record Device Settings to use Windows Control Panel to select the record device (hand control microphone you are using) and click on Properties to then select the Levels tab and adjust the input volume to about the 80% setting.
· You can also select the audio Playback Device to route the playback audio to the speaker in your hand control microphone. We recommend doing this so that only dictation playback is routed to the hand control mike, and all other Windows audio is routed to your default playback device (usually desktop speakers).
· This video demonstration provides instructions for setting the audio sound levels in Windows and Quikscribe Recorder.
· The proper sound level setting will ensure that you have good sound level input and that the typist has strong sound level output. If your recording sounds distorted, try holding the mike further away from your mouth, or descrease the input recording volume level.
· Note: If you have problems with the SpeechMike connection, or with the recording levels not remaining stable, please make sure of the following:
· The SpeechMike USB connection should be plugged directly into the computer’s USB port instead of a USB hub. If you have to use a USB hub, make sure it’s a powered USB plug that plugs into an A/C outlet for external power.
The Quikscribe Recorder User Manual has a full description of setting up and using the Email method to send files. The user manual is available in QS Recorder by selecting Help, then Online Manual.
A single license key is used for all installed copies of QS Recorder and QS Player in your office. You do not need individual license keys for each copy of the software. You will have one license number for QSR and one for QSP.
Please register your software within 30 days of installation; otherwise it will go into DEMO mode. If the software goes into DEMO Mode, you will only be able to record for up to 30 seconds.
Make sure you are logged in with Administrator rights when registering the license!
To register Quikscribe Recorder do the following within Quikscribe Recorder.
· Select the Help menu.
· Select the Register option.
· Locate the registration code (with dashes) provided upon purchase for the Quikscribe Recorder or Player.
· Copy (CTRL-C) and Paste (CTRL-V) this registration code into the space provided or type the code into the entry panel. The code is not case sensitive.
· Type the user id or PC identification in the User ID panel, and then select Register.
Important: Please enter a unique User ID to identify the PC! This will be helpful for any future support issues!
· Select Register to confirm the entries .The following panel will appear confirming the registration for the PC.
The same QSR or QSP registration code is used for all PCs purchased under your account, according to the number of licenses purchased.
At this stage your software should be registered. Check the status of your registration at any time by following these last two steps.
· Within Quikscribe select the Help menu.
· Select the menu option 'License Info'. Your license level should be “Full Quikscribe Recorder License”.
The same QSR or QSP registration code is used for all PCs purchased under your account, according to the number of licenses purchased. If you select ‘Go Online’, then you can change the computer name entry for the registration or list all of the registered computers. You may also Deregister the license and then move it to another computer.
This section has a brief explanation of control features. Detailed explanations are in the Quikscribe Recorder User Manual, available by selecting “Help”. Here’s a map of features for the QS Recorder interface:
Selecting this icon will create a new audio file so that you can begin recording.
You may enter subject, Doc Name, matter No., and Doc Type. The file is created automatically with a unique sequence number (there is a setting to disable that if needed). You may override the file name even if this option is selected.
If you don’t want to use the option to include the fields in the New Audio File panel, you can disable the pop-up in Settings -> File Management
You may also assign the New File function to a button on your hand control. Use the Hand Control Training to program the Undo function to the desired button on your hand control microphone. (Go to Help, then Hand Control Training).
Selecting this icon displays the Open Audio dialogue box, where you may open files from the Draft Audio folder, the Review Audio folder, the Sent Audio folder, or Pending Audio folder. Alternatively you can select the Browse button and open any .iaf file on your system.
With the Quikscribe Recorder, you can instantly remove any mistakes when dictating by simply pressing the UNDO button (eliminates the need to rewind and find the position to re-record over a mistake). The REDO button provides the opposite function and recalls previously recorded sections.
You may assign the Undo and Redo functions to buttons on the Hand Control, allowing you to quickly record and edit in real time. As a result, dictation has never been easier. Use the Hand Control Training to program the Undo function to the desired button on your hand control microphone. (Go to Help, then Hand Control Training).
If you made a mistake and pressed UNDO to wipe it, but then changed your mind, you could instantly recall the ‘wiped out’ passage by pressing REDO.
(Some of the basic dictations recording functions are explained below. More advanced features are described in the Online Manual.)
· Click the Create New Audio File Icon. *
· Enter any file details that you wish to add e.g. Subject, Matter No, etc.
· Click Create or press ‘Altè R’ on your keyboard. This will create your new audio file. Click Cancel or press ‘AltèC’ to CANCEL the creation of the file.
· Slide to REC or hold down the REC button on the Quikscribe Hand Control and speak to record. The microphone is built into the Hand Control. To stop recording slide to STOP or
· Slide to F.RWD or press F.RWD to return to the beginning of the dictation.
· Slide to PLAY or press the PLAY button to hear what you have just recorded.
The Record Mode indicator in the upper left corner flashes alternately white, then red, while recording. The flashing letter represents the record mode (O=Overwrite, I=Insert, A=Append. Select Edit to change record mode)
The Volume Indicator shows you the record and playback audio levels:
Select the Edit menu and then select Insert or Overwrite Mode.
When you change the Recording Mode from OVERWRITE mode to INSERT mode, the status bar at the bottom of the Quikscribe Recorder will update and display which mode you are in. In addition, the indicator in the top left corner will show “O” for OVERWRITE or I for INSERT.
To demonstrate inserting dictation, do the following:
· Create a New Audio File by clicking on the Create New Audio File icon.
· Record “A - B - C - D - E” in Overwrite Mode.
· Rewind to the beginning of the audio file.
· Change the Record Mode to INSERT mode by using one of the three ways above.
· Record “1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5”.
· Rewind to the beginning of the audio file and press or click PLAY.
· You should hear “1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - A - B - C - D - E”.
The letter I in the top left corner indicates Insert mode; O indicates Overwrite mode, A indicates Append mode
Provided you have set-up Quikscribe correctly, it is very easy to send audio files over the network. To send an audio file across the network:
· Finish dictating.
· Click the Send Audio File Icon.
· Under the “Method Tab” make sure Network is selected. Select the typist who will transcribe your dictation from the list of Typists. If your typist’s name doesn’t appear in the list, refer to the section Error! Reference source not found..
· Select the “Required In” time and “On Completion” notification.
· Click Send.
There are training manuals and video demonstrations available online at www.quikscribe.com/support
Adtionally, you may request support by clicking on the Help Menu within the Quikscribe Recorder Software.
· Click Help, then Request Technical Support