The Quikscribe programs rely on the health of the PC’s hard disk drive, as the audio files are generally larger in size than other file types, such as word-processing documents.
With the passage of time, the hard disk drive often becomes corrupted with its table entries. Periodic cleanup of these internal entries will reduce the chance of performance problems with Quikscribe (and other programs).
To run the Windows “Check Disk” Utility:
- In My Computer, select the C: drive and right-click, then select Properties.
- Select the Tools tab, then Check Now.
- Select the following options
- Automatically fix file system errors
- Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sector.
- Then select Start.
- You’ll receive the following prompt: ” The disk check could not be performed because the disk utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?”
- Select Yes.
- Then restart your PC. The chkdsk utility will run on startup.
This may help with the problem you’re having, as the virtual memory used by Windows relies on a healthy hard disk.