If you receive files through a network, you will be notified that a file is ready to be transcribed by the file Delivery Notification speaker in the top left hand corner of the Quikscribe Player interface. A green, red, or purple speaker indicates that a file is waiting to be transcribed. A yellow speaker indicates that no files are waiting to be transcribed.
If you receive files through email, you may open the iaf file attached to the email or save the iaf file to the location from which you transcribe files.
You may use either your headset or your speakers to listen to an audio file. To open and transcribe an audio file that you have received:
1. Open Quikscribe Player.
2. Click the Open a New Audio File icon.
3. A panel labeled Open Audio displays. Click your named folder in the Path Name box. Next click the file you want to transcribe in the Select an audio file box.
4. An audio preview of the file will play and pertinent information about the file, such as who sent it and when the transcription of it is due, will display in the right side of the panel.
5. Click Open or double-click the file. The file will now open in Quikscribe Player and the name of the file appears at the top of the Quikscribe Player interface.
5. Now click the Open the Default Word “W” icon. A new document will open for typing the dictation.
6. Use the footswitch, the interface playback controls, or the Hotkeys to play the file.
7. Type the dictation into the word processor document.
8. When finished transcribing, save the word processor document.
9. Click the File Completed icon. If the author of the dictation wants notification upon completion of the document or a printout of the document, a message will display when the File Completed icon is clicked.
10. The word processor file you typed is located in your named folder and the audio file has been moved to the Completed subfolder within your named folder.