For a business environment where users share a single computer, it’s necessary to define an environment variable in Windows so that Quikscribe Recorder or Player will behave properly using multiple Quikscribe user profiles with multiple Windows user profiles.
- Start Windows Control Panel
- Select System
- If Windows 7, select Advanced System Settings. If Windows XP, skip to step 4.
- Select the Advanced tab, then select Environment Variables.
- Under the “System variables” section, select New:
- Enter “QSPROFILE” for Variable name
- Enter the network path name for Variable value where the profiles will be stored.
- Select OK to save the entry, then restart the computer.
This setting will work for stations that have QSRecorder or QSPlayer installed, but you need to use the following convention for storing the profile files and naming the folders for the profiles.
In the example shown above the profiles for QSRecorder will be stored in W:\QSFILES\PROFILES\QSRECORDER
The profiles for QSPlayer will be stored in W:\QSFILES\PROFILES\QSPLAYER
I.e., the naming convention should be “[network drive location]:\[parent folder]\PROFILES”
When QSRecorder or QSPlayer is executed, it will look for the QSPROFILE environment variable and assign the final profile path to either QSRECORDER or QSPLAYER depending on which program is executed.
So you MUST store your QSRecorder profiles in the folder “[network drive location]:\[parent folder]\PROFILES\QSRECORDER”, even though the environment variable value is truncated to “[network drive location]:\[parent folder]\PROFILES”